Monday, February 16, 2009

THE OYSTER AND THE PEARL: What Motivates Us To Create



Featured Article on:
www.creativity-portal.com

as part of their Author Articles Series

Lately, I’ve been thinking about what motivates us to create. I’ve been contemplating why some people can create works of great beauty under great duress. I’ve been wondering why sometimes you feel so motivated and other times you don’t want to do a thing. Recently, I’ve seen a tremendous amount of motivation for people to get involved in our government and creating new organizations and jobs. You’d think after all the disappointment and disillusionment that it would be just the opposite. Instead there is a renewal of energy and enthusiasm to create new ideas out of the old paradigms. Certainly the typical “struggling artist” is known for creating some of their most innovative work in turmoil when in better days their creations very often become mediocre or non-nonexistent.

So what is it about struggle that motivates and reaps its own rewards?

To finish reading the article go to:
http://www.creativity-portal.com/cca/ellen-johnson/what-motivates-us-create.html

1 comment:

Unknown said...

My problem is this has never proved true for me. I don't think it's social. Just a personal character deficit, like my mother said ... haha, see any problems there? Yes, you've been piled on not just heavy rocks, but boulders, the word struggle just means something that you can never get away from .